Support Elk Grove Unified School District’s Proposed LGBTQ-Inclusive Textbooks for K-8 Social Science and History
ACTION NEEDED TODAY TUESDAY FEB 5th!
The EGUSD will be voting TODAY on whether or not to adopt the LGBTQ-inclusive K-8 History and Social Science textbooks. Show to up have your voice heard!
Where: 9510 Elk Grove-Florin Road, Elk Grove, CA 95624
What: Elk Grove Unified School District Board Meeting
Who: Anyone who supports the inclusion of LGBTQ people and our history in education
The Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD), the 5th largest in California, is in the process of adopting new K-8 Social Science and History textbooks. These textbooks comply with CA state law requiring LGBTQ-inclusive content. The School Board has been receiving public comments opposed to the adoption of the textbooks because of its LGBTQ-inclusiveness. On December 23, 2018 Sacramento Stonewall sent a letter to the School Board Members expressing our support for the new textbooks.
We in the LGBTQ community need to make our voice heard by showing up at the EGUSD School Board meetings, voicing our support during the Public Comments period, and sending emails and letters to School Board Members in support of the new textbooks. Here’s how you can get involved:
Email the EGUSD Board Members to express your support for LGBTQ-inclusive textbooks and let them know how inclusive textbooks impact you or your children or what it would have meant for you growing up to see yourself reflected in the lessons.
- Emails for School Board Members:
- email@example.com – Mr. Chet Madison, Sr – Board President, Trustee Area 3
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Ms. Beth Albiani, Trustee Area 5
- email@example.com – Ms. Nancy Chaires Espinoza, Trustee Area 6
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Mr. Carmine Forcina, Trustee Area 7
- email@example.com – Dr. Crystal Martinez-Alire, Trustee Area 2
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Mr. Anthony “Tony” Perez, Trustee Area 1
- email@example.com – Ms. Bobbie Singh-Allen, Trustee Area 4
- Template for Email or Letter
Attend an EGUSD Board Meeting, held the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month at 6:00pm and express your support for the LGBTQ-inclusive textbooks during the “Public Comment” period. For schedule and location, visit http://www.egusd.net/about/leadership/board-of-education/board-meeting-schedule/. The Board will likely be voting on final approval of the proposed textbooks in late February or March, but members are encouraged to attend any EGUSD Board meeting to express support for the new textbooks.
- Talking Points for use during Public Comment period or prior to vote on Textbook action item.
Check out images of the LGBTQ content taken by Stonewall Members!
Click here to see the textbooks.